1 Rhine Road, Maho Beach, St. Maarten
Set on 10 acres of lush, beachfront property, Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino is a “destination within a destination” offering a variety of accommodations and a dazzling array of activities
Share your experiences with others. Don't forget to send your review to Debbie by using an easy form.
"Worst resort - stay somewhere else"
Posted by: Tonique
on Aug 9, 2013 >
1 contribution(s) Canada
Visited on: Jul, 2013 | Wedding | Family and Kids
87 people found this review helpful
I recently had my wedding at Sonesta Maho and I'm sad to say it was one of the worst experiences of my life.
The staff were incredibly rude and management could care less about guest complaints.
- Many of our friend and family who stayed with us had to switch rooms multiple times because of plumbing and mold issues
- They served our food cold at our wedding
- We overheard the manager on site for our wedding telling her staff that we could wait for our food for no apparent reason which resulted in our food being served cold.
- The servers were rude to our guests and were also very argumentative.
- They didn't clean the room or set up we had our wedding reception in so we had to do it ourselves
- The linens were stained and the chair covers had visible holes
- We actually visited the resort months before our wedding to check everything out and had a wonderful experience but everything went downhill after that.
- Sadly there is nothing good about that resort. Stay some where else.
Restaurants and Bars:
The buffet was uninspiring and repetitive.
The beach is just a strip of sand and the water is rough.
Activities on and off the Resort/Hotel:
They had decent entertainers and would show current movies in the lobby but they had limited seating areas.
"A complete disappointment"
nikita on May 3, 2011 >
1 contribution(s) Canada
Visited on: May, 2011 | Leisure | Family and Kids
304 people found this review helpful
This is a hotel, and definitely not a resort. It is also not worth your money because:
-the staff are incredibly rude, especially the maids
-the buffet choices are repetitive and not at all tasty
-the restaurants were also of poor quality and service
-the entrance to the resort is ugly and unwelcoming
-the lobby is poorly decorated
-the rooms are not spacious
-the bathrooms need repairs (i.e. shower handles falling off)
-the beach is a small strip of sand
-the casino is a joke (1 room with some slot machines)
-only good thing is the walking distance to the shopping area
It's up to you if you want to stay at Great Bay, but I was there just last week and it was a memorable stay in the worst of ways. A total disappointment.
"The good and the bad of this resort....."
Posted by: Elaine
on Feb 7, 2011 >
5 contribution(s) Canada
Visited on: Jan, 2011 | Leisure | Family and Kids
311 people found this review helpful
We were at the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort and Casino from January 14 to the 28th, 2011. There were things that were good about the Resort, but some were very bad.
First, the good:
1. We were fortunate to be on the 9th floor which is a remodelled floor. We heard many complaints from anyone who was below the 6th floor. "Disgusting" was one description of the rooms.
2. Although the Resort had only one A la carte restaurant, the Resort offered three co-operating restaurants within a few minutes' walk and although the selection was limited to four items, we really liked two of them – Sopranos and the Charlovais, two of the ones off of the resort.
3. The Palms Grill served excellent food.
4. The buffet worried us at first because the ones we are used to are 10 times the size but the food was excellent so we were happy with that. On a negative note, there is not a smoking and non-smoking area.
Secondly, the bad:
1. The lounge/reception was not air conditioned and there was smoking in the enclosed area. With a casino and bar there, the cigarette/cigar smoke was horrible.
2. The lounge/reception bathroom was hot, smelly and flooded from time to time.
3. The room fridges were empty. You had to buy your own water at a grocery across the street.
4. There was no beach. The waves crashed up to the wall of the Resort.
5. Oddly, the entertainment was offered at the buffet at dinner time which is NOT when it should. We couldn't talk to each other because the entertainment was too loud. We would have preferred if it was in the lounge or another area so we could participate. They had karaoke, he was terrific but no one participated because they were eating.
6. We had an outside room and the runway which is immediately next to the Resort had planes that started taking off at 7 am and didn't stop until 11 pm. No quiet time anywhere, especially on the balcony with the planes. And the smell of burning rubber and fuel. Yuk.
7. Having a street side room we were also subject to loud music from the local clubs until midnight some days, and 2 am others.
8. Bring enough $1 US for tips because you cannot get anyone at the Resort to give you any change.
The weather was good though!!! We will not return.
5 minute drive from airport (hence the noise at the Resort) and check in was quick. Of course, I had emailed in advance to book three rooms together as we travel with three friends.
Clean and well kept.
"There is so much to see"
Monica on Aug 1, 2009 >
2 contribution(s) Canada
Visited on: Aug, 2009
336 people found this review helpful
Arrival August 2009:
My husband and I have been to the Sonesta Maho every year for the last 3 years to celebrate our anniversary! The first year we went alone, last year we briought some friends along and again this year another set of friends. Not one of us have ever had a complaint!
The hotel staff are amazing-thank you to Messam in reservations, Sheryl, our favorite bartender, Erroll, Evangeline, etc. etc. The staff are amazing and we never had any difficulties.
The food is excellent-we enjoyed the buffet, Palm Grill, The Point and our other all-inclusive dinners at Soprano's and Le Charolais-we have always gone with Transat Holidays out of Toronto and these are included in the package.
There is so much to see and do in St. Maarten-we always go to Anguilla and have rented a car for the past two years. We were advised not to leave any valuables ever in the car, so we didn't and obviously did not have a problem. We have visted Baie Rouge, Marigot, Phillipsburgh, Grand Case, Orient Beach (the hotel included a complimantary trip to Orient every Wednesday) and find it quite easy to drive an manoever around the island.
We have made the usual donations to the Casino Royale across the street and have kept our favorite jewelers (Adil along the Maho strip) in business!
We loved every moment of our 3 vacations at the Maho! We just got back Friday night and we miss everyone at the Maho and St. Maarten badly!!
"I wouldn't go back to that hotel"
Marcel on Jun 1, 2009 >
1 contribution(s) United States of America
Visited on: Jun, 2009
353 people found this review helpful
Arrival: April 2009
My arrival was Ok. The person at the front desk (Mr. Elvis) was very nice.
The room was Ok. We really expected much more for what we were paying for. The problem was the towels. We used them and they never replaced the same quantity. We had to call the front desk to get them. On another topic, when we arrived we noticed one pillow was missing. I had to call them twice to get it. Only one soap we got. We also had to call them to get another soap (we had to do this everyday). The other problem was the minibar, which was empty at all ties. They never provided us with drinks or anything. They did provide us with a coffee maker, but the sugar was never replaced in the quantity we had the previous night.
Restaurants and Bars:
Pretty expensive. All of them. The service was ok, far from outstanding based on their prices. The buffett breakfast was $ 16.50 and was just that, buffett. You couldn't order anything else but what the buffet had. For $ 16.50 each ? C'mon !!!
The pool was pretty nice. The beach was very rocky and it wasn't that large either. Regarding the grounds, we had WI-FI only in the lobby. Neither in the rooms, nor the pool, nor the beach, etc. Besides, we needed a password to get connected. This password expired 3 days later and when we requested a new one they told us the person in charge (of doing that) was off on week ends.
Activities on and off the Resort/Hotel:
One day they scheduled a karaoke show. We went and found there was a wedding instead. They didn't even bother to let us know the karaoke had been cancelled. We took one tour to visit Marigot and Phillisburg. It was very well organized and lasted what they told us. The tour guy was very corteous and answered every question we asked.
I wouldn't go back to that hotel.